Monday is laundry day in the Seams Happy household. I realized I am all out of my super cheap laundry detergent. Since I have to make it anyway,I thought I would share with you the how and what so you can see how easy and cheap it is. I can usually find these items in my grocery. If you can’t, you can order online from someone like Amazon.
You will need:
- Fels Naptha Bar Soap (feel free to substitute another bar soap like Ivory. Stick with the pure type soaps)
- Laundry Soda
- Essential Oil of your choice if you want to add fragrance. Use about 15-20 drops.
- Grate the bar of soap. It is a hard soap, so you might want to use a food processor if you have one.
- Measure 1 cup each of the borax and laundry soda.
- Mix the ingredients together. Mix in the essential oil if you elect to use it.
Store in an air tight container. Makes enough for about 32 loads using 1 1/2 tablespoon per load.
Here is a breakdown of the cost.
- The Fels Naptha Soap costs about $3.99 a bar. You will use the entire bar for one batch of detergent.
- The borax was $11.00. You will get about 6 batches of detergent from the box.
- The laundry soda was $9.15. You will get about 5 batches of detergent from the box.
- IF my math is correct, that works out to 29 cents a load!
Super Cheap and Super Easy!